Early detection, forecasting and management of the brown marmorated stink bug
Bill Hutchison, Entomology
The brown marmorated stink bug (BMSB, Halyomorpha halys) was first discovered in Minnesota in 2010. BMSB is a major agricultural pest in the eastern and western United States, causing millions of dollars in losses to soybean, sweet corn, apple and grape crops. The problem hasn’t reached damaging levels here in Minnesota.
MITPPC researchers will first determine the current extent of BMSM infestation across the state by setting a network of traps and improving and expanding the current EDDMaps monitoring system for early detection. They have already created the Midwest Stink Bug Assistant App to help users identify and report BMSB in the field.
The team also aims to provide a better understanding of where this pest can establish in Minnesota, where it is likely to be most active and where its population stands to grow, and what impacts climate change could have on the overall pest cycle.
- What are the current levels of BMSB in Minnesota?
- What is the phenology of BMSB under Minnesota conditions? Where could it establish in the state and in what size populations?
- What are the potential impacts of climate change on BMSB?
This project will help farmers, crop consultants and homeowners learn to correctly identify BMSB while developing new monitoring tools for early, consistent detection of the pest in Minnesota. Practical models and improved understanding of BMSB biology will contribute to improved management programs that support less insecticide use, enhanced control and conservation of pollinators.
Minnesota Department of Agriculture
William Hutchison, principal investigator
Robert Koch, co-investigator
Byju Govdindan, post-doctoral associate
Theresa Cira, post-doctoral associate
Eric Burkness, research fellow
Tracy Twine, co-investigator
Peter Snyder, co-investigator
Stefan Liess, co-investigator
News & Publications
- "New app for MN farmers, consultants: Midwest Stink Bug Assistant" UMN Extension Minnesota Crop News
- "Keep an eye out for the brown marmorated stink bug and, yes, there's an app for that" Star Tribune
- Effects of diapause on Halyomorpha halys (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae) cold tolerance (Environmental Entomology, 2018)
Cold Tolerance of Halyomorpha halys (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae) Across Geographic and Temporal Scales (Environmental Entomology, 2016)